I’ve recently started translating the Centreon project into the german language. As I’m sure that there’ll be quite a few questions that’ll come up in the process, I am creating this topic.
In this topic, I’ll briefly describe the process of how I’m approaching the translation. Additionally, I will describe problems or questions that I’ve encountered.
My approach is relatively simple to summarize: So far, I’ve simply followed the dev guide on how to translate the Centreon project. I’m currently using POEdit for the translation.
This section summarizes problems I’ve encountered during the translation process. Let’s hope that this section stays small in size :P
- The link to the translation environment archive in the documentation no longer seems to work. Kriko kindly provided me a working link.
This section lists questions that I had/have while translating. I hope the “Conversation” topic type is still correct.
- Should brand or component names be translated (e.g. “Broker Daemon”, “Monitoring Engine”, “centreon-engine”)?
- Do the files “help.po” and “messages.po” contain all strings that need translation or are there any additional documents?
- Are there any rules in place regarding the use of abbreviations?
- Some strings contain missing spaces or periods in the middle of the sentence, should those be ‘reported’ seperatedly?
- Where should I ask more specific questions? For example, this thread format seems unfit for smaller questions regarding specific terms, sentences or the meaning of phrases. Currently, I do this by adding comments in POEdit and marking the sentences as “Revision required”.
I’m currently doing this as a side project, so there’s a good chance that this will take some time to complete. However, I’m certainly willing to do this. That’s it for now! I’ll keep this updated as I move through the process and as soon as there’s something to add.